Friday 14 August 2015

One Day One Portfolio is back.

Yesterday I attempted to do a portfolio in a day and failed.

I was too slow off the mark.

Didn't help getting out of bed late.

And the most annoying point, procrastination...

Yep it was not a good day for me, I was quirt pissed off with myself, I lacked a strong mind to focus.

I am being unproductive with the time I have to prepare for the most important course of my life.

Today must be the day I produce that portfolio in day.

When I figure out the formula to produce such a book in a short period of time, I will repeat this process until I have 6 books to show Tony.

However I must take key consideration in maturing my thinking, I do know I am improving in how to construct a traditional advertising campaign properly, instead of my loose shooting of spilling out ideas like I usually do on One Minute Briefs.

Its just so hard when you get lost in all these theories and views of constructing the perfect idea/advertisement, I feel like the more you know the less you can be creative, its a scary notion, but I have forced it down to what Tony saids, considering I will be taught by him for the next 9 months starting September 7th.

That simplifies it down, What Tony saids, sounds a nice title for a book or another blog, perhaps the name of my notebook for the course, it was going to be called 'Tony's Bible' or 'The Gossip according to Tony', religious upbringing coming out here.

Anyhow talking about formula and the structure of a campaign, I really get mixed up between insight and strategy, that explains why I get stuck and slow down like I did yesterday, only producing one campaign, I need to feel comfortable with how I approach coming up with potentially big ideas for campaigns, I reckon the key comes down to how I determine my insights and strategies, all a matter of knowledge in maturing my thinking.

In the mean time I need to create a platform where I can truly go wild in figuring out solutions for brand problems, in short period of time, like I recall Dave Trott saying about Sir Alex Ferguson, he managed his team to the end game, not all this fancy footwork, all that mattered was to get the ball in the back of the net.

What matters is how I solve this problem, the solution, whether it be to sell the toughness of DrMartens to elderly people, or to sell the refreshing aspect of Evian water to pub goers, it all comes down to does this idea work, can it speak in the consumer's language and sell this product to them effectivity!

I will remember the 'Advertising Concept Book' saying this on the basics, 'What do you want to say?' and 'Who are you talking to?', these combined make your brief or as Tony calls it the brand problem, these keep you on track on achieving your solution.

However I begin to doubt whether I am going too far into this, and what I should be simply doing to prepare for the course is figuring out how the product makes me feel, to uncover a emotional insight to build a campaign around it.

Ahh this is where I get lost, I guess I should do a bit of both, what I do know is I should be doing a book (portfolio) a week of 6-8 campaign ideas, and this is the point of bringing back 'One Day One Portfolio', to produce such portfolios that show a high degree of energy, a trait Tony must admires in his students.

This is what I produced in my failed attempt.

 







As you will note this is a more mature approach in thinking to the past One Day One Portfolio challenge, it was structured with briefs, insights, strategies and a build up of executions, far more in depth then the pervious One Day One Portfolio, that partly explains the drag, but thats no excuse with my habit of procrastination.

I will not survive at Watford if I conduct myself in this way; a lack of focus.

So I am bringing back One Day One Portfolio to beat this unproductive nature, hopefully today, getting up early in the morning I can construct this one day book, a tribute to those who make such portfolios while heading to London for a interview on a national express coach, or shooting it out in a pub with your team partner before entering a big agency, the books that show a high degree of energy, those books fresh off the brain, free range ready to serve, not ideas concealed in a freezer for a long period of time.

Yes those are the books I want to produce, however I would like to improve the name.

Instead of One Day One Portfolio I could call it Quickie (sex pun), or bring back Ad Fresh Lemons, or The Electrician's Book (high degree of energy), perhaps put sell by dates on them instead like SELL BY 14/08/15, yeah that sounds similar and straight to the point of selling fresh ideas to potential employees.

Anyhow please like my Facebook page for this event, you can expect updates soon, I promise.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/One-Day-One-Portfolio/752008084875723

If you got this far thanks for reading this long post, and here is a video of the One Day One Portfolio in action, bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment