Monday 24 August 2015

Working on a identity.

Yesterday I got stuck into working on a identity for my creative twitter rep (@CreativeBrummie). 

Seeing all the fancy identities some of my fellow ombles on OMB (One Minute Briefs) where flashing, I wanted to create a logo, some colours to represent me to my community.

So I began what any creative type should do, go straight to paper, scribbling down thoughts first.

I consider it a sin to start on computer, however I rarely produce anything myself on computer as a end result.

As you would of gathered following my blog, all my ideas I show are raw through my favourite mediums of layout pad and marker.

I like to show the idea on its original conception, I don't try and tart it up with design, if the idea is strong enough, it should speak for itself.

How could I say this being a graduate in graphic communication?

Well I do not completely disregard graphic design following into the career path of art direction, for one thing its not about computers, the greats where doing it way before photoshop came on the scene, and I don't like using software for the sake of it, also I got a short attention span, I just want to get it down and go on to the next idea.

Anyhow art direction is simply seeing things other people can not see and making things people have never seen before, I feel I can do all that on my layout pad with marker in hand.

There are no limits to what you can draw.

Old school rules, rant over.

Now back to the point of this post.

I started with writing my name, perhaps my own hand written typography is all I need for a logo, but as I dig deeper I decided to play with some symbolism in popular association with Birmingham, like the bull, the bullring.


And thats what I worked upon, recreating the bull into my own logo/mascot of my twitter/omb identity.

Before I go on, I just want to note, this was not the first idea I settled on, I did a few before I made a decision, however the bull was much stronger then the rest, with its strong association with my home city of Birmingham.

To make the bull more my own, I gave it a slight resemblance to me, with my curly hair short back and sides, and pieced left ear, a bull self-portrait.

And for a final touch a marker instead of a typical ring placed through his nose. 


I then scanned and organised the best marker scamps through photoshop on my macbook.


I included my twitter name in a written typography form to create a whole package altogether for the identity.


In the end I decided to stay with my marker self-portrait for the time being, the bull is still a consideration, and a good idea for my twitter identity, just needs more working on, which reminds me I need to add a piecing to the left ear of my marker self-portrait....




I am going to approach this in the future by using the scans of whatever I draft out with marker for my logo as the finished product, because I feel the way I draw with the marker best represents me.

And that goes back to my pride in the medium of layout pad and marker, amen.

Thanks for reading this on a Monday, I salute you and myself for writing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment