Tuesday 21 July 2015

D&AD New Blood 2015 (Part 3)

I need to get these D&AD New Blood posts out the way.

Hopefully part 3 will be the final chapter to this event, I need to move on!

Anyhow I want note my experience with the two top ad agencies I met on a busy day.

Firstly FCB Infero, responsible for 'This Girl Can' campaign, which won numerous awards, noticeably the new Glass Lion award for breaking inequality at Cannes.


I had booked/payed for a book critic, which made me feel ripped off, because most creatives/teams get them for free, but I got refunded after.

This would technically be my second book critic after the interview where Tony completely tore my portfolio apart.

I had drew up 6-8 new campaigns, following the feedback from Tony on emotional insight/truth, due to my pervious ideas lacking in-depth thinking.

The book critic was set up in a pub, and I was soon greeted by a very cheery CD (guessing on appearance/age).

I did not have much time until the next event at the ad agency Creature, so I got down to it presenting my book in under 8 minutes.

The CD was too nice, hardly criticising much on the work I had only just recently drew up, he even noted a few ideas he liked on human insight/truth, which was a big bonus coming from a agency of their stature, and also the fact it was a improvement from my last book critic, I felt I was on track.

However I did not get much feedback, which made me feel I did not get much from the book critic, but it made me feel I was in the right place to improve with Tony, anyway these are the ideas the CD liked, please find some criticism if you can.



Now it was onto rushing off to Creature, for their event '10 Simple Steps to becoming an Ad Wanker'.

Just to note some of Creature's work, they did the thats not quiet Carling commercials, a recent one the mascot you might of seen advertised on Tv and outdoor print media.


Anyhow Ad Wanker, sounded just right for me, a perfect fit, made me think of the old Saatchi & Saatchi of the 1970s and 80s, the golden years of advertising.

I want to bring back those years, so I payed attention and noted down everything to be a Ad Wanker, in hopes of reversing what is considered a negative into a positive, basically building towards a strategy for a dream ad agency I hope to set up in the future.

The talk was spearheaded by Stu (co-founder of Creature), I spotted him at D&AD, and ninja threw my business card at him!

Don't worry I didn't kill him, I simply reminded him there is anxious unemployed creatives out there, ready to kill for a job.

Ok anyway, he was supported by Vicki Maguire (Grey London) and Jim Thornton (VCCP), two well respected creatives in the industry.

The talk last over two hours, and I pretty much noted every little thing that came out of their mouths, including the extras with Q&A.

The one particular thing that really stuck in my head was from Vicki.

She said 'Just amuse yourselves, don't be oh my god I need to write a ad!'.

This made me think of the many times I have worried myself sick of writing loads of ads to impress at book critics, or catch the eye of a CD at a big ad agency, in general the very concern of not getting a job as a creative in advertising.

I think this concern and worry makes you too careful, makes you stick to the rules, makes you produce addy work, boring work.

What you should be doing is amusing yourself, making what you want to make for the brand, or even a side project of personal interest, like recently I found this really fun idea done by the creative team Oli + Josie (former Watford), who set up a 'Adopt a Pigeon' organisation, check it out with the link below.

http://oliandjosie.com/2014/Bonus

Have fun, play, don't take it too seriously, its only advertising, not life saving!

I think thats the attitude you should have when constructing your book, and thats how I plan to conduct myself with the challenge I set to produce a book of 6-8 campaigns every week until I start Watford.

So after the talk I looked through the '10 Simple Steps to becoming an Ad Wanker'.


I think I have 5 of those qualities, being that I do have a penis when I last looked, and I do kinda take the credit in the past with team work, I have my eyes on winning a Cannes Prix one day, and I have defiantly bask in my importance and believed my own hype while taking what I do very seriously.

Yes folks I am halfway there of becoming a Ad Wanker, god save my creative soul, I need to change my ways if I have any chance of building a super creative team and having fun while not overly stressing like a cat going to the vets.

Only then will those pearly white gates open for me where all the goody goodies go, adam&eveDDB or Mother, can't make my mind up at the moment between the two.

To end this post for today here is a portrait of Creature's mascot, much like Mother with all the portraits of the agency's mummies on the wall.


IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Can't say much about me at the moment, half dead, must be because its a Tuesday...

Anyhow thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment